Christ Church Lower Fahan Church of Ireland is located on the main street in Buncrana. Built in 1804 it served as a Garrison church for the large number of British soldiers who were based in the locality prior to partition. Consequently there are a good number of burials of army and naval personnel from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The grave yard is exceptionally well maintained and the vast majority of the headstones are legible. There are a small number of late 18th, early nineteenth graves with breastplate type grave markings. The bulk of these are unfortunately unclear as to the inscribed text.
The Parish Hall is located on the same site and dates to 1856.
Christ Church Lower Fahan is located at N55.134 W-7.456
St. Mura’s Monastery at Fahan was founded by St. Colmcille in the 6th Century. An ancient slab cross on the site, called the Fahan Cross Slab dates from this time period. The monastic ruins which remain are dated to the end of the 17th Century.
The graveyard is compact but contains a good number of graves dating back as far as the 17th Century. There are several graves dating back to the time that the British Army and Royal Navy were billeted in the greater Buncrana area during the 19th Century.
Among the graves in St. Mura’s is that of Agnes Elizabeth Jones who was the first trained Nursing Superintendent in Liverpool Workhouse Infirmary. A Nightingale Nurse, she died from typhus at the age of 35.
Overlooking Lough Swilly, Linsfort Church of Ireland was built in the 1650’s and was in use until 1972. It is located on the left hand side of the Buncrana to Fort Dunree road, approximately 6,5 km from Buncrana.
The oldest legible headstone dates to 1811 although there are a good number of stone grave markers with no inscriptions.
There is one Commonwealth War Grave in Linsfort.
Linsfort Church of Ireland is located at N55.172 W-7.500
St. Columba’s (The Old Church Straid) was built in 1772 with a grant from the Protestant Bishop of Derry, Frederick Hervey (1730-1803).
There are many graves in the churchyard at Straid but for the most part they are unhewn and uninscribed and represent the burial of the many Catholics laid to rest there.
There are a small number of graves with legible text, including that of the Doherty family, local landlords who resided in Glen House and were the last patrons of the Church.
There is one Commonwealth War Grave in Straid.
The Church enjoyed a brief revival during the First World War ministering to the needs of the British Army who were billeted at Glenfield Camp. Declining numbers finally took its toll in 1920 when the Church was closed, the roof removed and the furniture auctioned in 1927.
The Old Church at Straid is located at N55.265 W-7.426.